Robert Mitchell

[Home / Research / Teaching]

    Transfer Information

    I am the Geology Department Transfer Advisor. I assist students who are currently enrolled at another institution and plan on transferring to WWU and majoring in Geology. I do not assist with general transfers to WWU. If you are interested in a general transfer to WWU please visit the WWU Admissions Transfer link. WWU will review your transcript and decide which courses will transfer from your institution.

    The majority of you will be transferring from a Washington State university or community college, which makes it easy because WWU has established a Transfer Course Equivalency Guide. Just choose your institution and and determine the course equivalencies. If you are just starting at a Washington community college, focus on Track 1 of the Associate in Science-Transfer (AS-T).

    If you are transferring from an institution that is not in the WWU Transfer Equivalency Guide, it is my job to review the geology courses that you have taken at your institution. I will examine your transcript, the syllabi, and the catalogue descriptions of the courses you have taken to determine if any are equivalent to WWU's geology courses. Regional specific courses (e.g., Geology of the Sierra Nevada) and courses without labs do not transfer.

    If you are interested in transferring and want to learn more about the Geology program at WWU, visit our Geology Department site for departmental information.

    Visit the Prospective Undergraduate Students site to learn more about our degree options and planning guides.

    If you are wondering what courses to take at your institution to prepare yourself for our geology program, I highly suggest taking as many of the required math, chemistry, and physics courses as possible so you can concentrate on geology after transfering to WWU. If you take geology courses, I suggest courses from the Core Program (e.g., 211 and 212). If you are just starting at a Washington community college, focus on Track 1 of the Associate in Science-Transfer (AS-T).

    Geology B.S. Core Program
    [prerequisites in brackets] (number of credits in parentheses)

    • GEOL 211: Physical Geology [MATH 114 with concurrency or higher] (5)
    • GEOL 212: Historical Geology [GEOL 211 or 211A] (4)
    • GEOL 213: GIS in Geology [GEOL 211 and major status] (3)
    • GEOL 306: Mineralogy [GEOL 211 or 211A; CHEM 121; CHEM 122 or higher or concurrent] (4)
    • GEOL 310: Geomorphology [GEOL 211 or 211A] (5)
    • GEOL 318: Structural Geology [GEOL 211 or 211A, 212; PHYS 114 or higher] (4)
    • GEOL 352: Geophysics [GEOL 211 or 211A, PHYS 121] (4)
    • GEOL 406: Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology [GEOL 306; CHEM 121; CHEM 122 or higher or equivalent] (4)
    • GEOL 409: Field Methods and Theory [GEOL 212, 318, 406, 415 and Co-req 410] (6)
    • GEOL 410: Geologic Field Mapping [concurrent enrollment in GEOL 409] (6)
    • GEOL 415: Stratigraphy & Sedimentation [GEOL 212, 306, 310] (4)
    • CHEM 121, 122, 123: General Chemistry and lab [MATH 114 or placement] (14)
    • MATH 124 & 125 or 134 & 135 or 138: Calculus and Analytic Geometry [MATH 115 or placement] (10)
    • PHYS 161, 162, 163: Physics with Calculus and lab [MATH 124] (10)

    Note: The courses above are the Core Program requirements. You will still have to take other geology and math electives to complete a degree. Please see the Geology Program in the University Catalog for elective options.

    Students can declare as a Phase I major at any time as long as they are in good academic standing. Theresa Tripp the department program coordinator ( will help you with the geology declaration paperwork.

    Geology Career Information

    Visit our careers link